Accessories have the potential to bring so much flavor to an outfit. Well-chosen accessories help you accentuate your style and bring you confidence. These ten tips will help you be an accessory wiz in no time!
1. Use your accessories to punctuate your style. For example, look at the finishes on jewelry pieces. A textured matte finish is more organic and earthy. A smooth, shiny finish is more sophisticated and traditional. If your style is more eclectic, you may want to wear shiny and matte finishes together.
2. Use color in small or large doses. One bold-colored bangle mixed with two black or two white ones adds a hint of drama to an outfit. An arm filled with brightly colored bangle is fully committed to drama. Check out this YouTube video tutorial How To: Layer Bracelets.
3. A closet may indeed hold too many pairs of black pants. Rather than investing in yet another pair, consider expanding your accessory wardrobe instead. Those additions will make it seem like you have a brand new wardrobe.
4. When you buy a new outfit think about what kind of accessories you’ll need to “finish” the outfit. When you neglect that step, you may end up weeks from now with those clothes in your closet with the price tags still hanging on them.
5. Accessories are a way to expand a wardrobe of solids. Necklaces are great accents over solid-colored T-shirts, sweaters, or tops. Layer multiple necklaces for more style emphasis. Check out this YouTube video, another by Kagi Jewelry
How to Layer Necklaces.
6. If you mix patterns and prints in the same outfit, you may choose to wear fewer pieces of jewelry. Your clothing may be bringing all the interest you need. In that case, focus on your earrings, rings, or chains to add minimal layering to what’s already going on.
7. Boho earrings look great with boho dresses. Traditional jewelry looks great with traditionally cut blouses and trousers. Unless you’re very artistic and borrow from multiple styles to create a visual masterpiece, let your clothing style help you dictate the style of accessories you’ll wear with them.
8. Department stores may not offer the selection you need to own accessories that resonate with you. Try other sources such as off-price stores TJ Maxx or Marshall’s. Consider shopping consignment stores or estate sales. Walk the aisles of a gem show, antique fair, or art show. If you find something you love, think through how many outfits you could wear it with. If you’re up to five outfits, you’ll be purchasing something of value. If it can only be worn with one thing you own, consider whether it’s an investment you want to make at this time.
9. Like clothing, accessories need to be edited. Sort through your collection and gift, consign, or donate the pieces that really don’t interest you anymore.
10. Accessories can be altered or redesigned. If you have a necklace that’s too long, have it shortened. If a necklace is too short, add an extender. If the closure is too hard to manage, take your necklace to a jeweler and see if they can change it to a magnetic closure. Necklaces that have too many things hanging from it could be made to look more current by removing parts of it. Don’t be afraid to make changes yourself or take them to someone who can. You could get much more life out of something you already own but aren’t wearing.
Is it time for you to address your accessories? We’re here to help! Whether it’s editing what you already have or shopping for accessories to finish outfits you own, we can be of service. Just give your Personal Stylist a call!