by Melrose W. Fisher
September 21, 2016
Fall is that time of year when those of us in the South love wearing our jeans with oversized sweaters and tops. The problem the majority of us have is finding that “right” pair of jeans. You know, the pair that feels awesome and looks fabulous regardless of our body shape. Trying to find that perfect jean can cause more heartache and tears than that hard-to-handle teenager living in your house. Sometimes we just give up and never wear jeans making us then feel like we’re not “hip.” Don’t give up! Follow the tips and tricks below that I’ve generated from various personal image stylists and fashion experts. Hopefully, it will save you a lot of time, stress and upset in finding those long awaited jeans you have been looking for!
Remember, our Carlisle and ETCETERA collections have several styles of jeans to fit practically every body shape and in various colors and fabrications. Remember the saying “you get what you pay for?” That saying most definitely applies to finding that perfect jean. Price does matter when it comes to good quality jeans. Quality made jeans will last you a lot longer, not bag out in the knees and butt area will be cut more symmetrical, will hold its color after many washings, and will be made from comfortable fabrics with stretch. Often you will find a quality pair will last, and you will enjoy for many seasons.
First, find your shape below and start reading the tips appropriate for your body shape.
PEAR or TRIANGULAR BODY SHAPE
To balance out your proportions and enhance your shape and give credit to your “bottom,” look for jeans with these features:
- Bootcut or wider flares– These will help balance out the hips and keep your legs in proportion with the extra fabric around the calves.
- Long Inseams – Having a longer length means you can wear heels under your flares and bootcut jeans. This will, of course, elongate your legs and make them look slimmer.
- Higher Rise – These are very balancing to your shape, plus they hide a multitude of sins if you suffer from muffin top issues like so many of us do. The higher rise may mean the waistband of your jean sits at the smallest part of your waist like a trouser, or it can mean that it sits at or just below your belly button.
- Jeans with a smaller fitting waist– Most ladies with wider hips often struggle to find jeans that don’t leave a gap at the back of their butt, therefore, requiring a minor nipping in at the waist. That simple alteration works wonders for the fit. I recommend you wear the jean a couple of times and wash them before taking in the waist. That alone will sometimes solve the gaping waistband problem.
- Larger pockets – Enhance your derriere (yep, that’s what they say). Since you are blessed with it, look for larger back pockets as small ones can make the derriere look bigger.
- Stretch denim – Always look for stretch denim as it will hug your body better, creating a sleeker silhouette. Plus, it’s not as restricting as rigid denim. All of our Carlisle and Etcetera jeans have stretch in them.
- Dark Indigo Jeans – Avoid “faded” jeans if you have thicker thighs. Try to stay with darker color jeans. Faded jeans can make your thighs appear larger.
- Boots – If you do want to go for a skinny jean, try tucking them into boots as it will help balance out the hips more and create a better shape.
HOURGLASS or CURVY BODY SHAPE
Gals with this body shape are much luckier because you can get away with most things and look great. With a hip to bust ratio of 50/50 and a slim waist, it’s all about the styling and keeping your proportions balanced. Look for jeans with these features:
- Skinny Jeans– Skinny jeans are the most flattering on hourglass shapes. Your chest and hips are in proportion with each other already so showing your legs off in skinnies only highlights that point. Bootcut jeans can actually overwhelm you and hide your frame.
- Higher rises–Higher rises because the waistband will sit at the smallest part of your waist, this will also give the illusion of an even slimmer middle.
- Medium size back pockets– Don’t go too big or too small with your back pocket sizing, it’s important to enhance your butt so choose wisely!
- Skinny flare– If you want to do flared jeans, choose a pair that are tight and skinny all the way to the knee and then give off a slight flare. This is much more flattering.
- Flares– If you are a curvier hourglass and carry a lot of weight on the hips, a flared jean will really help balance that out.
ROUNDED or APPLE BODY SHAPE
Apple shaped ladies carry their issues around their tummy area and usually struggle to find jeans that are flattering or give them the shape they are looking for. Embrace your body shape and work with it rather than against it by looking for jeans with these aspects:
- Skinny Jeans– Skinny jeans can look really good when they are paired with a floaty, gypsy style top as this will hide your problem area but the skinnies will still be fitted, creating a balanced look.
- Rises– If you are an apple shape with more curves and you want to hide your stomach, I recommend going for a high rise jean as this will hold everything in. If you are an apple shape with less curves, then lower rise jeans can give you a curvier appearance.
- Trouser Jeans– If you want to balance things out, go for a trouser style jean as the wider leg from hip to foot will help with proportions.
- Faded jeans can be your friend.
RECTANGLE, BOY, COLUMN BODY SHAPE
This is the super model shape with extra height, long legs and a straighter hip area. It can be hard to get jeans to fit in length and be flattering and feminine at the same time. Fortunately, Carlisle and ETCETERA jeans are longer than most jeans you’ll find in regular retail stores. Look out for these aspects:
- Inseams– If you want to go for a smart look, long inseams are the way to go as they will make you sleek and clean. If you prefer something more fashionable and love the look of jeans with ankle boots, go for a cropped skinny and cuff them with your ankle boots. This will give more depth to your shape and lessen your height a little bit while looking chic.
- Skinny Jeans– Skinnies are always your best friend as they show off your figure beautifully. Just be sure to pick the most flattering pair for your butt and thighs.
- Skinny Flares– You can also get away with skinny flares as you have the height to pull it off. Don’t do baggy flares as they will overwhelm you, so make sure the flare starts below the knee and the fit above is tight.
- Rises– If you want to show off your height, go for a high rise, but if you want to make your legs more proportional, a low rise will work wonders.
- Boyfriend Jeans– Boyfriend jeans are extra roomy in the derriere and the thighs. Luckily, you can get away with boyfriend jeans and make them look amazing! Go for a slimmer fitting boyfriend and it will look great.
I hope these tips will help you find that awesome pair of jeans that will look and feel great on you. One of our Lots of Luxe stylists can help you find that perfect jean. Contact us and receive 15% off all jeans in either our Carlisle or ETCETERA lines.
Carlisle Jeans – we have 10 different jean-style pants to see.
The CARLISLE Natalie Jean are the BEST jeans you will even own! Trust me! The Natalie Jean is highlighted in the first images below. These essential 5-pocket jeans are garment-washed indigo stretch denim. Made with a blend of cotton, cupro, and elastane for the softest hand feel. The small uplifted back pockets make you look and feel 10 pounds lighter! Sizies 0-18, $295 (remember, you get what you pay for).
Some of our ETCETERA Jeans – There are nine jean-style pants.